Why I Changed My Policy on Gaming in the Library
I am kind of ashamed to admit that I used to be one of those librarians who was a real stickler for the rules. And in some ways, I am still a stickler. But I'm starting to rethink a lot of things. One thing I've done a complete 180 on is my policy on gaming in the library. I used to have a few kids come by after school to hang out and play harmless games like Slitherio on the computer. They weren't playing anything inappropriate, but they were in the library and they were not quietly working or reading. Surely, that could not be allowed. If I let a few kids in, hordes of kids might follow. Why, it could turn into an arcade in no time! What about the kids who wanted to study? How would they learn? I had to put an end to this gaming at once! Then the public library that's a stone's throw away from my school closed for renovations and moved into a temporary location on the other side of town. It was too much of a hike for many of our students to walk to the public ...

Comments
Post a Comment