Stand and Wait



grayscale photo of woman right hand on glass

If anybody’s listening
Then hear my sacred vow.
I’ll never take for granted
The things I’m missing now.


I won’t see bread and think
“That will fatten up my tummy.”
Instead I will be thankful
For nourishment that’s yummy.


Oh how I miss the simple days
Of just sitting on the bleachers,
Clapping and cheering for my son.
Now I’m his Health and P.E. teacher.


How I used to dread the small talk,
The chat that stole time from my day.
Now I see the same three faces 
And wonder when I got so gray.


I won’t get angry about traffic
Because now I even miss my car. 
My commute is to my basement.
The world outside? It seems so far.


I am whiny. I am petty. 
I need to have a better attitude. 
I’m safe and sound and healthy.
I should just be filled with gratitude.


But the truth is that I’m human
And it’s a very human thing to do
To feel trapped and scared and wonder,
"When will all of this be through?"


I don’t know the answer.
I think we’re only at the start, 
And if I feel a little cooped up
I guess that means I’ve done my part.


Because one day this will be over
Though the sacrifice seems great,
As Milton said, “They also serve
Who only stand and wait.”



My thoughts and prayers are with all of the people who have been affected by COVID-19. Thank you to all of the heroes who are doing so much more than standing and waiting. Stay safe everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Somebody's Hero

The Do's and Don'ts of Raising Readers

The Importance of Mentors