Being a "Yes" Librarian

“You’re a ‘yes’ librarian.” I had the pleasure of hosting Newbery Honoree Adam Gidwitz in my library this year, and that’s how he described me. As I welcomed Adam to the school and showed him the big stacks of books to sign, he observed that I had said “yes” quite a bit as he was settling in for his visit. It was a great compliment, and “yes” is a great motto.
More than ever, I realize that I have been saying yes to things, even if they scare me. Planning Genius Hour and STEM lessons? Serving as a mentor for struggling students? Becoming a Google Certified Educator?  Tweeting more at citecitebaby? Writing another grant?  Three Scholastic book fairs, three author visits, and three clubs? I have said “yes,” to all of the above.
There is a flipside to yes, and that is the word “no.”  These days I focus less on fines and more on students. I have messy shelves, a crowded storage room, and I’ve lost a few books. My motto is “Better to have loaned and lost than to have never loaned at all.”   It’s all about perspective, priorities, and persistence.
I am also passionate about saying “yes” to tackling the tough stuff.  I think we have an obligation as educators (and human beings) to help young people develop a moral compass. Young people are our hope for peace and healing in this world. To a Mandarin class, I  have read and discussed picture books about the discrimination Chinese immigrants faced. For English classes, I facilitate books clubs featuring memoirs such as Brown Girl Dreaming and Farewell to Manzanar.  My collection celebrates diverse books.  What’s more, my library is a safe haven for the teachers who need a pep talk and a corner of my office to eat lunch, for the student who is struggling lately and needs a quiet place to read,  and for the fifth grader who is having a hard time adjusting and just needs a little break from it all.

Yes. It’s the best word there is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Somebody's Hero

The Do's and Don'ts of Raising Readers

You Matter